Knee Pain: Causes and Treatment Options
Knee pain can significantly impede your active lifestyle. Walking can become unbearable, and you may find yourself searching for relief. At Chiropractic Wellness Center in Humble, our chiropractor will not merely prescribe pain medication. Instead, we address the root cause of your pain, whether it's a sports injury, personal injury, or wear and tear.
Causes of Knee Pain
- Sports Injuries Knee injuries are prevalent in sports, especially contact sports like football. However, skiing and running can also cause various knee movements that may result in an injury.
- Personal Injuries Falls are the leading cause of knee injuries. You may get a skinned knee or a bruise from a simple fall. In more severe falls, you may experience a dislocated knee, torn tendon, or a sprain.
- Wear and Tear Wear and tear are challenging to avoid. However, keeping your weight under control and knowing your family history of arthritis can prepare you for its occurrence in your knees.
Treatment for Knee Pain
- Chiropractic Adjustment Chiropractors offer chiropractic adjustment as the primary treatment. Misaligned joints can shift the center of balance and put excess stress on the knee joints. Realigning everything can help alleviate the stress on the knee joint and soft tissues surrounding it.
- Massage Therapy Massage therapy helps ease pain and stress in the soft tissues that hold the knee in place. The knee has to work harder to stay in place when the joints are misaligned, leading to stretched tendons, ligaments, and muscles. Massage therapy helps relax these painful soft tissues.
- Trigger Point Therapy Trigger point therapy is a deep massage that targets painful knots that may develop deep within the muscles surrounding the knee. It helps break them up as well as any adhesions that impede movement.
- Corrective Exercises Corrective exercise helps to build up strength in the injured area and stretch the muscles. These exercises target specific areas of injury, helping to maintain flexibility and balance.
- Cryotherapy Cryotherapy involves applying cold pads to reduce swelling and inflammation early on in the injury.
- Heat Therapy Heat therapy is used to bring additional blood and warmth to the injured knee. It can be used alternately with cold therapy.
Contact Chiropractic Wellness Center in Humble, TX
If you need a chiropractor in Humble, Dr. McMurrey at Chiropractic Wellness Center can treat your sports injury, personal injury, or wear and tear. Call our team today at (281) 540-1018 to learn more or to schedule an appointment.